Is there a term for the fraction of economic value earned by a person in their labor that is due to their creation?

For example, a car factory laborer who's work creates:

Economic value created = $500,000

Income Paid = $50,000

Would have a value of 0.1

At the other end of the spectrum, the CEO might be

Economic value created = $2,000,000

Income paid = $1,500,000

Fraction = 0.75


You seem to be looking for the phrase 'wage share' or 'share of labour compensation'.

Wage share:

The wage share (or labor share) is the ratio between compensation of employees (according to the system of National accounts) and one of the following variables:

  1. gross domestic product at market prices
  2. gross domestic product at factor cost
  3. net domestic product at factor cost (domestic income at factor cost)

Here is some US data on share of labour compensation.

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Sometimes it is also called the labor share. $\endgroup$ – BKay Apr 16 '16 at 23:06
  • $\begingroup$ Thanks, that's more or less what I'm interested in. Is there somewhere you can get this data per job type, per industry or per company? $\endgroup$ – Some Guy Apr 16 '16 at 23:06
  • $\begingroup$ @SomeGuy I am afraid I don't know the answer to that. My guess would be that you cannot because you may be able to infer costs from that and companies try to keep such information secret. $\endgroup$ – Giskard Apr 17 '16 at 6:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.