My regression I'm testing is quadratic but everything I've read about using F-tests state that it is used in a linear regression model.

  • $\begingroup$ Your regression is quadratic, like (A) $Y = (\alpha + \beta_1 X_1 + \beta_2 X_2)^2 + \epsilon$ or (B) $Y = \alpha + \beta_1 X_1 + \gamma_1 X_1^2 + \beta_2 X_2 + \gamma_2 X_2^2 + \epsilon$? $\endgroup$ – kurtosis Aug 14 at 7:30
  • $\begingroup$ @kurtosis it is like (B). $\endgroup$ – Esther Blaese Aug 14 at 7:58
  • $\begingroup$ Ah. Then it is a linear model. Model A is quadratic in the terms while model B is linear in the terms. $\endgroup$ – kurtosis Aug 14 at 8:05

Since your model is like $$ Y = \alpha + \beta_1 X_1 + \gamma_1 X_1^2 + \beta_2 X_2 + \gamma_2 X_2^2 + \epsilon, $$ it is still a linear model -- because it is linear in the terms. ("Linear" refers to the terms like $X_1$ and $X_1^2$ being linearly combined.)

You can use an $F$-test for your model.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.