Can anyone recommend a resource for very long term trade data? (1500-2014). I have looked and found bits and pieces here and there but haven't come across any single data-set covering all of it. I am thinking of mashing my own together but I really do expect it to have been done already.
Max Roser (2014) – ‘International Trade’. Our World in Data provides data on overall international trade growth during the requested time period, citing as their sources:
- International Historical Statistics (by Brian Mitchell)
- Correlates of War Bilateral Trade (as mentioned in the comments)
- The Maddison Project (which I love)
- The Rise and Fall of World Trade, 1870-1939 (2003)
- The contribution of intercontinental trade to Europe’s expansion (O'Brien 1982) (Which I could only find a discussion of)
and many other sources...
Hope those help!