Say someone owns 30% of the shares of a company. Then suppose that they increase their number of shares by 50%. This last sentence is ambiguous. It could mean that they increase their number of shares to a total of 45%, or to a total of 80%. It depends whether we 50% is relative to their current shares or to the total possible shares.

Are there words or terms to delineate between the two concepts? This would apply whenever the unit of measurement is a rate, proportion, etc. For example, inflation, interest rates, etc.

  • $\begingroup$ this seems to be english language question, not economics question $\endgroup$
    – 1muflon1
    Mar 24 at 14:51
  • $\begingroup$ How do economists specify which meaning they are intending? $\endgroup$
    – Eoin
    Mar 24 at 15:48

1 Answer 1


There are percent (%) and there are percentage points (%p).

  • In your example, an increase from 30% to 45% is an increase of 50% and at the same time an increase of 15%p.
  • An increase in interest rate from 1% to 2% is a 100% increase and a 1%p increase at the same time.

See also this thread.

  • $\begingroup$ Thank you. Would 1 basis point increase therefore be a .01%p increase ? $\endgroup$
    – Eoin
    Mar 25 at 0:01
  • $\begingroup$ @Eoin, yes, it would be. $\endgroup$ Mar 25 at 7:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.